Monday, October 1, 2007

ENERGY!

Simple wiring: La Paz, Bolivia

Energy Conservation Research Project : A look into my life and habits...

The Questions: How much is energy is consumed heating my living space and how can I heat the space more efficiently?

Although I receive an oil bill each month, I wanted to get a better sense of how I could better manage fuel consumption in my home. Armed with the mission to burn less oil this winter, I have embarked upon a research project to get to the bottom of this.

I began my research wondering how many Sitka residents heat their homes with oil as well, and collectively, how much fuel could we save if we had more information. It turns out that over 80% of our community is heating with oil.

Data Collection: For 14 days I will chart the operation times and burning rates for the Toyo stove Laser 56 that heats my home. From this data, I will be able to chart fuel consumption rates and estimate fuel costs for the month, year, etc. I will also investigate ways to increase the efficiency and heat retention of my home.

No comments: